A Grace-filled, Cross-Centered Gospel Goodbye
Paul’s grace-filled greeting (Gal 1:1-5) introduced us to the gospel that is from God and for God’s glory.
- Paul defended his authority and the one true gospel in chapters 1-2.
- He explained the gospel of grace and the glorious freedom it brings in chapters 3-4.
- And in chapters 5-6, he applied the gospel by commanding us to love and serve one another in everyday life.
Paul ends this letter (Gal 6:18) with “ … the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers.”
The cross is the center of this passage, and it has been a central theme in Galatians.
- V12-13 The cross and circumcision (notice circumcision 3x in v12-13)
- V14 The cross- our only boast
- V15 A new creation not circumcision (notice circumcision 2x in v15)
1- The Cross Exposes Our Motives
- The Motives of the Judaizers (6:12-13) SELF-boasting
- Their pride
- Their persecution-avoiding
- Their Pharisaical actions
- The Motives of Paul (6:14-17) CROSS-boasting
- The power of the cross
- The purpose of the cross
- The Person of the cross
2- The Cross Defines Our New Life