AIM: See the clear choice—Christ is all or Christ is nothing! We can’t add to Jesus’ work on the cross.
- Christ + anything = NOTHING
- Christ + nothing = EVERYTHING
1--Christ is nothing
A. IF-- Circumcision accepted (v2-4)
- No advantage (2); obligated to keep the whole law (3);
- severed from Christ (4) and fallen away from grace
B. THEN--Continued warnings (v7-12)
- hindered you from running well (7)
- NOT from him who calls you! (8)
- leaven (9) is legalism ...clean it out! “Cast out” (4:30) the false gospel of legalism.
- will face penalties!
- And a word of hope here: Paul is persuaded that the false teachers will NOT ultimately win the Galatians over to their view….why? Paul has His confidence in the LORD!!)
- troubling you (10) … the false teachers will face penalties!
- Persecuted you (11)
- take away the offense of cross by preaching salvation is Jesus plus circumcision (11)
- Unsettled you (12)
- emasculate themselves (12)
2- Christ is all! (v5-6)
- through the SPIRIT
- by FAITH
- in CHRIST
- only FAITH
G.R.A.C.E.—God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense
G.R.A.C.E.—God’s Rescuing And Caring Exertion (John Piper)
Cross-references: 1 Corinthians 15; Romans 5; Romans 11:29; John 8:31-32; Jeremiah 32:40; 1 Corinthians 1:8–9; Philippians 1; Jude 24; 1 Thess 5:23-24; Romans 8:30; 1 John 2:19; Hebrews 3:14