February 27, 2020
Become as I am!! In Christ ... Christ in you!
1- IN Christ (Become as I am! … I am IN CHRIST.)
- How? (12)
- Why? (12c-14) Remember…..
- 1- He was WEAK (13)
- 2- But they WELCOMED him (14)
- 3 theories
- What? (15-16) But now? …..
- Contrasting motives (17-18)
- Motherly pain (19-20)
2- Christ in you (Until Christ is formed in you!)
“Christ being formed in us is the same as our being formed in Christ. For we are born that we may be new creatures in him. And he, on the other hand, is born in us so that we may live his life.” (Calvin, John, John Calvin's Commentaries On St. Paul's Epistles To The Galatians And Ephesians, p86)
- Col 1:27-29 Christ IN me!
Become like Paul who is IN CHRIST, free and not under the law.
Become like Christ! … Christ IN you!
February 20, 2020
VV.1-7: You are no longer a slave, but a son
- VV.1-2: Paul explains the heir/child/slave dynamic
- VV.3-5: Paul applies the model to their situation
- VV.6-7: Paul gives evidence of their adoption to remind them of their status
VV. 8-11: Don’t go back to slavery!
- V.8: Paul reminds the Galatians of their previous status
- V.9-11: Paul contrasts God’s choosing of the Galatians with their wandering
February 13, 2020
Promise and Law: Leading Us to Jesus
A. Promise and Law (15-18)
B. WHY the Law? (19-25)
- The law was added “because of transgressions.” (increased sin, 3:19, 24)
- The law was temporary. (In force only until Christ, 3:19)
- The law was inferior. The promise is BETTER! (intermediary 3:19-20)
- The law was not contrary to the promise. (3:21)
- The law could not give life. (3:21-25)
6. The law pointed to Jesus!
C. Trace OFFSPRING
- Genesis 3:15
- Gal 4:4
- WHO is the promise made to? (16)
- Mediator? (19)
- NOW who are we? (29)
D. Trace CHRIST
- Promise to Christ (16)
- Law until Christ (19)
- Both fulfilled in Christ (22-25)
- Identity in Christ (26)
- Identity in Christ leads to Unity in Christ (26-29)
February 5, 2020
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, therefore let us live by faith.
- Vv.10-12 As many as are of works of the law are under a curse
- V.10: All who rely on works of the law are under a curse, because who can do all the things? (Both passive and active)
- V.11: It’s obvious that no one is justified by the law, because “the righteous shall live by faith” quotation.
- V.12: The law is not a matter of faith, but of doing.
- Vv.13-14 Christ redeemed us from the curse, so that we might receive the blessing of Abraham
- V.13: Christ redeemed us from the curse by becoming a curse for us
- V.14: SO THAT/SO THAT: so that the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.