April 23, 2020
A Grace-filled, Cross-Centered Gospel Goodbye
Paul’s grace-filled greeting (Gal 1:1-5) introduced us to the gospel that is from God and for God’s glory.
- Paul defended his authority and the one true gospel in chapters 1-2.
- He explained the gospel of grace and the glorious freedom it brings in chapters 3-4.
- And in chapters 5-6, he applied the gospel by commanding us to love and serve one another in everyday life.
Paul ends this letter (Gal 6:18) with “ … the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers.”
The cross is the center of this passage, and it has been a central theme in Galatians.
- V12-13 The cross and circumcision (notice circumcision 3x in v12-13)
- V14 The cross- our only boast
- V15 A new creation not circumcision (notice circumcision 2x in v15)
1- The Cross Exposes Our Motives
- The Motives of the Judaizers (6:12-13) SELF-boasting
- Their pride
- Their persecution-avoiding
- Their Pharisaical actions
- The Motives of Paul (6:14-17) CROSS-boasting
- The power of the cross
- The purpose of the cross
- The Person of the cross
2- The Cross Defines Our New Life
April 10, 2020
Burden-bearing: our spiritual life as a believer, under grace not law, is evidenced by loving one another and persevering in doing good.
A. The Dangers/warnings are stark.
not sowing to the Spirit v8
B. The Commands are many:
1-Watchfully and gently restore v1
2-Lovingly and humbly bear one another’s burdens v2
3-Test your own work v4
4-Share all good things with your teachers v6
5-Sow to the Spirit v8
6-Do not grow weary; do not give up v9
7-Do good to everyone v10
C. The Stakes are huge according to verse 8:
We reap what we sow!
Galatians tells us what Jesus purchased for us on the cross. It is because of Jesus we have:
IDENTITY: IN Christ
How specifically are we to be like Jesus in this passage?
GENTLY-RESTORING: Because Jesus has restored us
WATCH-KEEPING: (temptation): Because Jesus suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
BURDEN-BEARING: Because Jesus bore our burden at the cross and has given us the Spirit, we can care for one another, by bearing others’ burdens and doing good to all.
HUMILITY: Phil 2
SHARING & GIVING: Because Jesus gave His very life, we are to share with one another. Sacrificial giving, like Jesus gave.
DOING GOOD: Because Jesus is good, always good, we will seek every opportunity to do good.
NOT GROWING WEARY: Because Jesus never grows weary, we can turn to Him for more grace when we feel like giving up; Heb 12; 2 Cor 12:9
Benediction from Heb 13:20-21
Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.
March 27, 2020
Our Freedom, Our Fight, Our Flesh and God’s Fruit in Our Lives
Galatians 5:13-26 | Pam Larson | 3.27.2020
1-Our Freedom (13-15)
2-Our Fight (16-18)
- HOPE for the fight … 3 reasons ...
- 1-Because of A promise! the Spirit’s help! (16)
- 2-Because the battle is real and is hard!- but we have the Spirit (17)
- 3-Because if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. (18)
- So we have the Spirit living in us, we WALK in the Spirit, we are led by the Spirit and we plead for the Spirit’s help in fighting the battle.
- We also need the Word, God’s promises, to fight this battle against the flesh.
3-Our Flesh (19-21) (Paul contrasts our flesh with the fruit of the Spirit in our lives.)
4- God’s Fruit (22-23)
- Love, joy and peace all are “gospel overflows” of the saving grace of Christ in our lives
- Those lead to the sweet ways we then interact with others around us...with patience, kindness and goodness
- As the fruit of the Spirit ripens, our radical transformation manifests in faithfulness, gentleness and self-control...becoming more and more like Jesus.
Our Ongoing Fight (24-26)
- An imperative- walk by the Spirit/keep in step with the Spirit
- An indicative- Because you are crucified with Christ, and have crucified the flesh, keep crucifying those fleshly desires, walking by the Spirit, living by the Spirit, keeping in step with the Spirit
We are free from sin and death, free to love, fighting our flesh in the power of the Spirit and walking, living, being led by the Spirit. This means we are continually directed by and influenced by the Spirit, and His fruit.
March 13, 2020
AIM: See the clear choice—Christ is all or Christ is nothing! We can’t add to Jesus’ work on the cross.
- Christ + anything = NOTHING
- Christ + nothing = EVERYTHING
1--Christ is nothing
A. IF-- Circumcision accepted (v2-4)
- No advantage (2); obligated to keep the whole law (3);
- severed from Christ (4) and fallen away from grace
B. THEN--Continued warnings (v7-12)
- hindered you from running well (7)
- NOT from him who calls you! (8)
- leaven (9) is legalism ...clean it out! “Cast out” (4:30) the false gospel of legalism.
- will face penalties!
- And a word of hope here: Paul is persuaded that the false teachers will NOT ultimately win the Galatians over to their view….why? Paul has His confidence in the LORD!!)
- troubling you (10) … the false teachers will face penalties!
- Persecuted you (11)
- take away the offense of cross by preaching salvation is Jesus plus circumcision (11)
- Unsettled you (12)
- emasculate themselves (12)
2- Christ is all! (v5-6)
- through the SPIRIT
- by FAITH
- in CHRIST
- only FAITH
G.R.A.C.E.—God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense
G.R.A.C.E.—God’s Rescuing And Caring Exertion (John Piper)
Cross-references: 1 Corinthians 15; Romans 5; Romans 11:29; John 8:31-32; Jeremiah 32:40; 1 Corinthians 1:8–9; Philippians 1; Jude 24; 1 Thess 5:23-24; Romans 8:30; 1 John 2:19; Hebrews 3:14
February 27, 2020
Become as I am!! In Christ ... Christ in you!
1- IN Christ (Become as I am! … I am IN CHRIST.)
- How? (12)
- Why? (12c-14) Remember…..
- 1- He was WEAK (13)
- 2- But they WELCOMED him (14)
- 3 theories
- What? (15-16) But now? …..
- Contrasting motives (17-18)
- Motherly pain (19-20)
2- Christ in you (Until Christ is formed in you!)
“Christ being formed in us is the same as our being formed in Christ. For we are born that we may be new creatures in him. And he, on the other hand, is born in us so that we may live his life.” (Calvin, John, John Calvin's Commentaries On St. Paul's Epistles To The Galatians And Ephesians, p86)
- Col 1:27-29 Christ IN me!
Become like Paul who is IN CHRIST, free and not under the law.
Become like Christ! … Christ IN you!
February 13, 2020
Promise and Law: Leading Us to Jesus
A. Promise and Law (15-18)
B. WHY the Law? (19-25)
- The law was added “because of transgressions.” (increased sin, 3:19, 24)
- The law was temporary. (In force only until Christ, 3:19)
- The law was inferior. The promise is BETTER! (intermediary 3:19-20)
- The law was not contrary to the promise. (3:21)
- The law could not give life. (3:21-25)
6. The law pointed to Jesus!
C. Trace OFFSPRING
- Genesis 3:15
- Gal 4:4
- WHO is the promise made to? (16)
- Mediator? (19)
- NOW who are we? (29)
D. Trace CHRIST
- Promise to Christ (16)
- Law until Christ (19)
- Both fulfilled in Christ (22-25)
- Identity in Christ (26)
- Identity in Christ leads to Unity in Christ (26-29)
January 30, 2020
The main point that Paul is making in Galatians 3:1-9--
ALL of the Christian life is By FAITH, through the Spirit, NOT by what you DO
1- A Rebuke: Reflect on your own history! (the PERSONAL argument v1-5)
2-A Review of Redemptive history (going back to Abraham) (the BIBLICAL argument v6-9)
November 20, 2019
November 20, 2019
It is only in Christ that we are justified. By faith in Jesus we are made right with God.
And in Christ, we are dead to the law and alive by grace because Jesus lives in us!
1- In Christ ...
- Justified by faith (15-16)
2- In Christ…
- Dead to the law (17-19)
- Alive by grace (20-21)
November 6, 2019
- What is the setting? “SOMEBODY” (verses 1- 3) CONTINUATION of the story
- COMMUNICATE CLEARLY the GOSPEL
- At stake: CONFIRMATION of Paul’s gospel & CHURCH UNITY
- What is the conflict? (verses 4-5) CONFRONTATION with false brothers
- CIRCUMCISION to be added??
- CONFRONT those who CONTRADICT gospel truth
- What is the resolution? "THEN" (verses 7-9) CONFIRMATION of Paul’s gospel and ministry
- ADDED nothing
GAVE the right hand of fellowship
- What is the new setting? The “SO”? (verses 9b-10) COMMISSION to ministry
- One true gospel is affirmed, but that gospel is presented in a way that seeks to connect with different groups. Same gospel, same content. The one true gospel message will come across with different nuances, depending on the audience’s circumstances, or religious or cultural background.
- Paul was eager to remember the poor, as he was eager to be like Jesus!
**3. What is the CLIMAX? (verses 5-6) CORRECT DOCTRINE
Gospel truth preserved!! ONE TRUE GOSPEL! NOTHING ADDED to Christ! Christ alone for salvation!
October 11, 2019
Galatians 1:1-5 | A Grace-Filled Gospel Greeting
Pam Larson, October 9, 2019
Paul’s grace-filled greeting introduces us to the gospel that is from God and for God’s glory.
- 1-greeting ……..v1-2….. BELIEVE the MESSENGER, who is NOT from man Paul’s grace-filled greeting introduces us.. (this is the FROM/TO section)
- 2-gospel ……v3-4…...BELIEVE the MESSAGE: Grace to you and peace the gospel that is from God
- 3-glory …….. v5……..Closing for God’s glory.